The foundation of the private higher education in Azerbaijan was established by Azerbaijan University. The first private university — Azerbaijan University was founded in 1991 by Prof. Salahaddin Khalilov.
- Salahaddin Khalilov , Doctor of Science, professor, corresponding member of ANAS was the rector of AU from 1991 to 2007;
- Akif Musayev, Doctor of Economic Science, professor, corresponding member of ANAS and a tax policy advisor of the Ministry of Taxes was the rector of AU from 2007 to 2011;
- Aslan Gahramanli, the playwrite, candidate of physical and mathematical sciences and lecturer was the rector of Azerbaijan University in the period from 2011 to 2012.
- In the period between May 1, 2012 to January 28, 2015, the rector of Azerbaijan University was Eldar Gahramanov, II convention MP of Milli Mejlis of Azerbaijan Republic and the candidate of economic science;
- Since January 28, 2015, Farid Ahmadov, Doctor of Philosophy in Law was assigned as the rector of Azerbaijan University.
- Saadat Aliyeva was appointed to the rector position at Azerbaijan University on March 13, 2017.
The education at Azerbaijan University is regulated by the “Education Law of the Republic of Azerbaijan”, and the other normative acts and regulations. Azerbaijan University is entitled to award its students with a diploma and all concessions concerned to the state high schools, including the right to deferment from military service.
In Azerbaijan University, which has been operating since 2006 under the Bolognia decleration, there are 63 students studying towards their master’s degree, 1299 undergraduate students, 24 Phd students and 42 Phd candidates. Between 1995-2016 years 3200 students were awarded with Bachelor’s degree and between 1999-2016 years 381 students were awarded with Master’s degree at Azerbaijan University.
There are four schools and 170 teachers at Azerbaijan University. Among 170 teachers, two are a corresponding member of AMEA, 13 of them Doctor of Science, Professors, 20 of them Associate professor and 51 of them are Ph.D. candiadtes.
Azerbaijan University, being contemporary with the restoration of the state independence of Azerbaijan Republic has made tremendous progress during 25 years and created highly qualified staff consisting of specialists with a rich teaching experience, western-educated scholars and well-known professors. The syllabi have been created according to the world's advanced practice.
Our main goal is to provide qualitative education to our students, to prepare personnel complying with the requirements of the modern world for our rapidly developing country. Therewith, students’ all round and personal development and raising students’ national spirit are important for us.
Lessons are conducted in Azerbaijan and English languages at Azerbaijan University. The students, who are matriculated to the majors conducted in the English language, are taught on special language preparation program. The intensive English classes that students take during a year increase the possibilities of career opportunities of graduates.
We believe that international experience, keeping close relationship with educational institutions and different cultures are the important part of education. For this reason, special attention is paid to the expansion of international relations and its participation in exchange programs. All students of the University, as well as academic staff have an opportunity to gain international experience through exchange programs.
Azerbaijan University, being a member of 6 international organisations, a partner of the Tempus projects, "Movlana" and "Erasmus+" exchange programs, cooperates with top European and Turkish Universities. In the frame of above mentioned programs, the teaching staff and the students of Azerbaijan University participate in the educational process of partner universities and implement a credit exchange.
Guest lecturers and specialists of foreign universities have a positive impact on the enrichment of our students' outlook.
Azerbaijan University, by implementing self-funded internal scholarship programme and sharing social responsibility, approved itself as a science and education institution.
For more information on all above mentioned, you can find in the relevant sections of our site.
We are very pleased to welcome everyone on the University's web page!