Program code: 050203
Group on entrance exam: III
Program duration and format: 4 years/ 8 semester, full time
Language of instruction: English
Internship duration: 14 weeks
Required credits: 240
Awarded degree: Bachelor
Tuition fee: 3000 AZN
Translation course, at Azerbaijan University, is taught by the department of Foreign languages-1. The staff of the department consists of the specialists with scientific-pedagogical and practical experience. The material – technical base and teaching staff, who are proficient in the English language, have been mobilized for the preparation of professional interpreters.
The teaching process of Translation course is mainly focused on the following issues: creation and development of translation skills form English into Azerbaijan and vice versa; formation and development of writing skills, besides reading, listening and comprehension skills; formation of speedy reading skills; development of literal and technical translation skills; inclusion of skills, such as working on publicistic - newspaper and journalistic texts; learning of the vocabulary and regional variants of the English language; enhancing the vocabulary base of students; building discussion skills in foreign language; formation of skills, such as reading, comprehension, translation and orally interpretation of various kinds of texts (literal and publicistic); learning words, word combinations and sayings through the analysis; strengthening verbal communication skills; development of ways of overcoming the difficulties arising during a translation process.
The bachelor preparation over the translation course is implemented in the form of lecture, classes (laboratory), seminars, tutorials, independent task, practice, etc. It is taken into consideration as well as the practical training of students. Students pass their practical training, according to the contract, in relevant departments or organizations, foreign companies and institutions of the Academy of Science.
The graduates of this course gain the following knowledge and skills:
- Being able to speak and communicate fluently in English;
- Being able to know the composition rules of different kinds of correspondence;
- Being able to define the specific features of the written documents, such as commercial and business correspondence, inquiry letters, CV and reports;
- Being able to comprehend a verbal speech and express it adequately and smoothly during a translation process;
- Being able to comprehend the meaning of different kinds of written texts and interpretate them;
- Being able to use computer translation programs, such as “Tradus”, “Memo Q”, etc.
- Being able to translate different kinds of texts, orally or in a written form with the help of dictionaries as well as without dictionaries into the native or English language;
- Being able to use terminology correctly, create the bank of terms and document them;
- Being able to do consecutive translation of the heard text or negotiations at the different levels and use note taking techniques correctly;
- Being able to know the second foreign language apart from the course language and translate semi-complex texts from that language into native language and vice versa;
- Being able to know the opportunities of the implementation of Information-communication technologies.
Translators, who have graduated this course, can work in governmental organizations, different kinds of local and international organizations, embassies, foreign companies, etc. as well as continue their education in master programs according to their specialty.
The knowledge and skills on this subject is taught through the following subjects:
- Hearing and comprehending a speech
- Reading –understanding and writing
- Written comprehension and written expression
- Verbal comprehension and verbal expression
- Bases of professional translation
- Interpretation of a written text
- Computer translation programs
- Translation theory
- Written translation
- Paperwork and terminology
- Consecutive translation and note taking technique
- Verbal translation
- Translation of legal and administrative documents
- Translation of social-political texts
- Translation of scientific texts
- Literary translation
- Translation of economic texts
- Translation of the texts in the field of oil and gas
- Translation of press materials
- Translation of advertising texts
- Interpersonal communication
- Regional variants of English pronunciation
Class Schedule of Translation (English Language) available HERE.